Information about this lot
Why is this lot here?
We think this lot is vacant because:
Just sent Amanda this email:
Great talking with you!
The lot you want to turn into a community garden is referred to by NYC as Queens block 10252, lot 140. Lot page here: https://livinglotsnyc.org/lot/4102520140/
The city-owned land is in the inventory of NYC's Department of Citywide Administrative Services (DCAS). This department of the city tends not to have plans for public land, so nothing is likely to happen to it until another agency requests jurisdiction.
At the request of residents via NYC Parks GreenThumb, NYC Parks can take jurisdiction, which would establish it as a protected public green space! Through GreenThumb, you and other neighbors can steward it as a garden. You can organize your neighbors to create a campaign that will make this happen!
A good step is to call DCAS to double check that there are no plans for this lot. Contact: Kyle Daniels (212-386-0486)! Please take notes on your call and write them on the lot page.
Then, here are some things you might consider gathering as you organize neighbors which will help you build a successful campaign:
- A mission or vision statement that lists benefits to the community;
- A letter from the local Community Board (Queens 12!) in support of the project and group (this information is found in the "Political Boundaries" section of the lot's page: https://livinglotsnyc.org/lot/4102520140/);
- A name for the proposed garden/group being formed to look after the garden;
- List of community members interested in the project (at least 10 names, addresses, phone numbers, emails)
- Sketch or rendering of project
- List of partners/sponsors/endorsers (including churches, school, local business, city agencies, etc.)
Some letters of support from elected officials is also helpful, but not necessary. You can use the "Political Boundaries" section on the lot's page to see the elected officials for the lot.
Here is a sample proposal for a space on Beach 84th Street where neighbors almost have access: https://livinglotsnyc.org/media/files/102516_Beach_84_Garden_Proposal.pdf
You can start organizing right now by printing and using this blank petition to collect signatures from neighbors in favor of a community garden here (also attached): https://livinglotsnyc.org/media/files/petition.pdf !
Once you have enough neighbors who say they want to be part of the project, call a meeting and get planning together! I bet you can facilitate it without us, but we're also happy to come support that planning process.
Once you have a bit of a proposal together, it will be time to get in touch with the community board to get on their agenda and get that letter of support!
We can help along the way.
Other tips for gaining access to public land in DCAS jurisdiction live here: https://livinglotsnyc.org/pathways/access-nyc-dcas-land/
Look forward to meeting you next Thursday!
Mara + Stephanie